However, facing reality is always better than burying your head in the sand. Dealing with your debt head on will not only improve your sanity but also get you back on track. Here are some steps to help wipe out your credit card debt.
1. Facing reality
Yes, it will be painful, but you have to just grin and bear it. Recognizing the severity of the debt is essentially the first step.
1. Add up the balances on all your credit cards and other loans—figure out the total of what you owe. Note the interest rate you are paying.
2. Make a list of all your monthly essentials: rent/mortgage, utilities: heat and power, loans, auto payments, health insurance, taxes, cell phone bills, food… everything you cannot live without.
3. Calculate your total income and your monthly essentials. The end number will be your discretionary spending.
4. For at least one maybe two months, write down every cent you spend. It will give you an idea of how quickly things add up.
2. Do you really need that
You might be surprised how quickly life’s little luxuries such as eating out and getting coffee every morning may add up. Instead of spending $3-$5 on coffee each morning put aside that money and use the extra change to pay down your debt.
3. Contact your credit card company
For some people, keeping up with their monthly payment is impossible. Calling your credit card company might be the only choice. It is important to know that if you decide to call your credit card company you MUST remain calm. Explain your financial situation and give legitimate reasons why you are a responsible person who is determined to pay off your debt.
4. Arrange your credit card debt from highest to lowest
Keep up with minimum payments on all your cards, but pay whatever extra cash you can afford on the card with the highest rate. Once that card is fully paid off you can move to the next highest rate and so on. This is a sure fire way to make progress. As this strategy continues to work, you will be able to pay off bigger portions of your debt.
5. Be cautious
Be cautious about debt settlement companies that “guarantee”. No company can guarantee a debt settlement with a credit card company. In fact there is no reliable shortcut in getting rid of your credit card debt. For the majority, it is a long process, so stay focused.
If you can follow these steps and remain determined through hard times you stand a chance against credit card debt. When that debt-free day comes, you will be glad you faced the reality.